- Wear your retainer full time, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainer out when eating, and always put it in its case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.)
- Clean your retainer thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing a retainer removes plaque and eliminates odors. Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used, but they do not take the place of brushing.
- When the retainer is not in your mouth it should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to it faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainer, or if your retainer needs adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust it yourself.
- Always bring your retainer to your appointments.
- Retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care they will last for years!
- Remove your retainer when swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins. High temperatures will permanently distort your retainer!
FLOSSING UNDER PERMANENT RETAINER
Use the same floss threader as you used while wearing braces.
Pass the floss under the permanet retainer and floss below the gum line. Remove and repeat between each tooth.